Lady Bulldog Tennis Falls In SEC First Round
STARKVILLE, Miss. - Mississippi State's women's tennis squad fell 4-0 in the first round of the SEC Tournament to No. 23 ranked Vanderbilt Thursday afternoon, ending the Lady Bulldogs' 2012 campaign.
State's season ended at 7-14 overall. Vanderbilt, which improved to 13-4, advances to Friday's SEC quarterfinals to meet host Ole Miss.
On Thursday, the Lady Bulldogs were forced to default on court three in doubles play. Alexandra Perper and Naomi Tran of MSU then played a strong match at the No. 1 doubles position against Vanderbilt's No. 26 ranked duo of Jackie Wu and Lauren Mira, but Vandy was able to secure the 8-5 win, putting the Commodores ahead 1-0 overall. Because Vanderbilt claimed the doubles point with the win on court one, play on court two was suspended. Roseline Dion and Petra Ferancova were tied 6-6 against Ashleigh Antal and Marie Casares when the match was suspended.
Due to injuries, the Lady Bulldogs had to default at the No. 5 and No. 6 singles positions, leaving the Commodores just one point away from clinching the first round victory. In an unfortunate turn of events, sophomore Alexandra Perper suffered an injury during the match, causing her to retire after the first set on court one. That win wrapped up the victory for Vanderbilt, and play at the remaining three positions was suspended.
#23 VANDERBILT 4, MISSISSIPPI STATE 0
April 19, 2012 - Starkville, Miss.
1. Jackie Wu/Lauren Mira (VU) def. Alexandra Perper/Naomi Tran (MSU) 8-5
2. Ashleigh Antal/Marie Casares (VU) vs. Rosaline Dion/Petra Ferancova (MSU) 6-6, unfinished
3. Megan Gornet/Nelly Radeva (VU) won by default
1. #41 Jackie Wu (VU) def. Alexandra Perper (MSU) 6-1, retired
2. #86 Lauren Mira (VU) vs. Naomi Tran (MSU) 4-2, unfinished
3. Marie Casares (VU) vs. Petra Ferancova (MSU) 2-3, unfinished
4. Nelly Radeva (VU) vs. Rosaline Dion (MSU) 6-1, unfinished
5. Megan Gornet (VU) won by default
6. Elizabeth Lillie (VU) won by default