Perper Wins As Lady Bulldogs Drop Tough Match To Auburn
"I was really proud of the way our girls battled today," said coach Daryl Greenan. "(Alexandra) Perper picked up a well deserved win on court 1 today and we fought hard on every other court. I hope to see everyone out at the courts on Sunday against Alabama as we honor Elizabeth (Hall) on Senior Day."
On court 3 of doubles, Auburn defaulted the point due to a last minute injury giving MSU the early 1-0 lead in doubles. However, the Tiger pair of Jacqueline Kasler and Plamena Kurteva took down Lady Bulldogs Alexandra Perper and Olesya Tsigvintseva in the top spot, 8-4.
Clinching the match for Auburn was the duo of Caroline Thornton and Paulina Schippers as they ousted MSU's pair Vivian Pietraroia and Danielle Terpko 8-4 in the second position.
Carrying their momentum into singles, the Tigers took an early point on court 5 as Pietraroia defaulted the match to Auburn's Taylor Cohen 5-0 (def.). In the second position, MSU's Mariia Ryzhova fell 6-3, 6-2 to Schippers of Auburn.
However, the Lady Bulldogs would keep battling as Perper took down Thornton in a two-setter 6-1, 6-4 to put the match at 3-1 overall.
Courts 3, 4 and 6 all went into third sets while battling for the match clincher. Dion took the first set 7-5 in the sixth position but lost in the second set to Auburn's Taylor Cohen 6-3, sending the match to a third set. Tsigvintseva battled at the No. 4 spot for MSU where she found herself dead even at 6-2, 2-6 with Kasler going into the third set.
In the third position, Terpko took on Kurtova where they battled through a long fought match. Terpko took the first set 6-2 while Kurtova seized the second 6-2. After being down 5-1 in the third set, Terpko brought the match to 5-3 but Kurtova proved too much as she fought to take the last set 6-3 and clinch match for the Tigers, 4-1.
Both of the remaining matches were suspended at this point, early in the third set.
Mississippi State returns to action on Sunday, April 10 for Senior Day as they play host to the Crimson Tide of Alabama. Match time is slated for 1 p.m. CT at A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre where admission to all MSU home matches is free.
Mississippi State 1, Auburn 4
4/8/11 - A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre
1) Jacqueline Kasler/Plamena Kurteva (AUB) def. Alexandra Perper/Olesya Tsigvintseva (MSU) 8-4
2) Caroline Thornton/Paulina Schippers) def. Vivian Pietraroia/Danielle Terpko (MSU) 8-1
3) Mariia Ryzhova/Jordan Zachary (MSU) def. Maria Arechavaleta/Taylor Cohen (AUB) dnp.
1) Perper (MSU) def. Thornton (AUB) 6-1, 6-4
2) Schippers (AUB) def. Ryzhova (MSU) 6-3, 6-2
3) Kurtova (AUB) def. Terpko (MSU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
4) Tsigvintseva (MSU) vs. Kasler (AUB) 6-2, 2-6, 0-2 (susp.)
5) Arechavaleta (AUB) def. Pietraroia (MSU) 5-0(def.)
6) Roseline Dion (MSU) vs. Taylor Cohen (AUB) 7-5, 3-6, 0-2 (susp.)
Order of finish... Doubles (3,1,2) Singles (5,2,1,3,-,-)