State Women’s Tennis Falls To Top Ten Georgia
"We did not do very well in doubles competed much better in singles," coach Daryl Greenan said. "Our top three did a nice job and Mariia (Ryzhova) picked up a well deserved win."
In doubles play, Georgia's #9 ranked pair of Chelsey Gullickson and Kate Fuller took a quick 8-0 decision from State's Alexandra Perper and Olesya Tsigvintseva on court 1. In the second position, MSU's Vivian Pietraroia and Danielle Terpko fell 8-2 to 50th ranked Lilly Kimbell and Nadja Gilchrist of Georgia.
Turning to singles action, Georgia picked up an early point on court 6 as Georgia's Kelli Jordan defeated Roseline Dion of MSU by default. At the fifth position, Kate Fuller of UGA took a two-setter from Pietraroia 6-0, 6-1. 87th ranked Ellis of Georgia topped MSU's Tsigvintseva in the No. 4 spot 6-1, 6-0.
On court 3, Terpko battled tough through two sets but eventually fell to Kimbell 6-4, 6-3. At the top spot for State was Perper where she fell to #91 Maho Kowase of Georgia 7-6, 6-3.
However, in the second position Mississippi State's Mariia Ryzhova battled to a 3-6, 5-5 (def.) victory over Anghelescu of Georgia.
MSU will resume their SEC action Friday, April 8 as they play host to Auburn during Super Bulldog Weekend. Following the Auburn match, the Lady Bulldogs will host Alabama on Sunday, April 10 for Senior Day.
Mississippi State 1, #7 Georgia 6
4/3/2011 - Magill Tennis Complex
1) #9 Chelsey Gullickson/Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Alexandra Perper/Olesya Tsigvintseva (MSU) 8-0
2) #50 Lilly Kimbell/Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Vivian Pietraroia/Danielle Terpko (MSU) 8-2
3) Cameron Ellis/Alexandra Anghelescu (UGA) def. Roseline Dion/Jordan Zachary (MSU) 8-1
1) #91 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Perper (MSU) 7-6, 6-3
2) Anghelescu (UGA) def. Ryzhova (MSU) 6-3, 5-5 (def.)
3) Kimbell (UGA) def. Terpko (MSU) 6-4, 6-3
4) #87 Ellis (UGA) def. Tsigvintseva (MSU) 6-1, 6-0
5) Fuller (UGA) def. Pietraroia (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
6) Jordan (UGA) def. Dion (MSU) (def.)
Order of finish... Doubles (1,3,2)... Singles (6,5,4,3,1,2)