State Women’s Tennis Falls In Gainesville
Beginning on court 2 of doubles action, Florida's duo of Olivia Janowicz and Allie Will took down Mississippi State's pair Mariia Ryzhova and Jordan Zachary, 8-1. Competing at the top spot for MSU was the Alexandra Perper and Olesya Tsigvintseva tandem as they fell to Lauren Embree and Joanna Mather of Florida 8-4.
However, Lady Bulldogs Vivian Pietraroia and Danielle Terpko fought hard in the third position but were eventually outlasted by the Gator twosome of Caroline Hitimana and Sofie Oyen, in a thrilling 8-7(2) tiebreaker.
Turning to singles play, the Gators' Brittany Borsanyi took the match from Zachary on court 6 as Zachary retired after falling in the first set 6-0. Hitimana took down Pietraroia at the No. 5 spot in two sets 6-0, 6-0. 26th ranked Joanna Mather clinched the match for Florida as she took a two-setter from Ryzhova 6-1, 6-0 in the second position while Gators' #45 Alex Cercone took down Terpko on court 3 6-3, 6-2.
At the No. 4 spot, Tsigvintseva battled but eventually fell to 35th ranked Janowicz in a two-set decision 6-3, 6-1. In the top position for MSU was Perper where she fell to Florida's 7th ranked Will 6-2, 6-3.
The Lady Bulldogs will continue their road swing next weekend April 1 and 3 as they travel to Tennessee and Georgia with more SEC action. MSU will return home for Super Bulldog Weekend on April 8 and 10 when they play host to Auburn and Alabama.
Mississippi State 0, #1 Florida 7
3/27/11 - Ring Tennis Complex
1) Lauren Embree/Joanna Miller (UF) def. Alexandra Perper/Olesya Tsigvintseva (MSU) 8-4
2) Olivia Janowicz/Allie Will (UF) def. Mariia Ryzhova/Jordan Zachary (MSU) 8-1
3)Caroline Hitimana/Sofie Oyen (UF) def. Vivian Pietraroia/Danielle Terpko (MSU) 8-7(2)
1) #7 Will (UF) def. Perper (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
2) #26 Joanna Mather (UF) def. Ryzhova (MSU) 6-1, 6-0
3) #45 Alex Cercone (UF) def. Terpko (MSU) 6-3, 6-2
4) #35 Janowicz (UF) def. Tsigvintseva (MSU) 6-3, 6-1
5) Hitimana (UF) def. Pietraroia (MSU) 6-0, 6-0
6) Brittany Borsanyi (UF) def. Zachary (MSU) 6-0 (ret.)
Order of finish... Doubles (2,1,3) Singles (6,5,2,3,4,1)