Lady Bulldog Tennis Falls 7-0 To Arkansas In SEC Home Opener
"Arkansas is a top 15 team in the country and can really play," coach Daryl Greenan said. "Our doubles play improved a little today but we just have to continue to get better and grow as a team. Mariia (Ryzhova) did a great job battling on court 2 and I hope to see the same thing on Sunday."
In doubles action, the Lady Bulldog pair of Alexandra Perper and Danielle Terpko fell on court 1 8-2 to 34th ranked Claudine Paulson and Anouk Tigu of Arkansas. Competing in the No. 2 position was the MSU duo of Olesya Tsigvintseva and Jordan Zachary where they dropped an 8-1 decision to Arkansas' Kate Lukomskaya and Stephanie Roy.
In the third spot for the Lady Bulldogs was the tandem of Roseline Dion and Vivian Pietraroia. After battling to a 5-5 stand-still, the Razorback duo of Emily Carbone and Kelsey Sundaram pulled away and took the match 8-5.
Slating a 1-0 lead after doubles, the Hogs kept the momentum as Carbone took down Pietraroia 6-1, 6-0 in the fifth spot. On court 4, Tsigvintseva fell 6-0, 6-0 in a two-setter to Paulson. After battling through a tough 6-3 loss in the first set, Perper fell in two sets to Tigu on court 1, 6-3, 6-1.
Dion battled at the sixth position for the Lady Bulldogs but eventually dropped 6-3, 6-2 to Jade Frampton of Arkansas. At the No. 3 position, Terpko fell in two sets to Roy 6-2, 6-2.
On court 2, Ryzhova battled and took the first set 6-3. However, Lukomskaya fought back and took the second set 6-4, taking the match into a three-set super tiebreaker. Ryzhova battled to 9-6 but Lukomskaya proved too much as she took the match 3-6, 6-4, 1-0(6).
The Lady Bulldogs are back in action on Sunday, March 13 against the Louisiana State. Match time is set for 1 p.m. CT at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre where admission to all MSU home matches is free.
Live stats will be available at www.mstateathletics.com
Mississippi State 0, #14 Arkansas 7
3/11/2011 - STARKVILLE, Miss. A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre
1) #34 Claudine Paulson/Anouk Tigu (UA) def. Alexandra Perper/Danielle Terpko (MSU) 8-2
2) Kate Lukomskaya/Stephanie Roy (UA) def. Olesya Tsigvintseva/Jordan Zachary (MSU) 8-1
3) Emily Carbone/Kelsey Sundaram (UA) def. Roseline Dion/Vivian Pietraroia (MSU) 8-5
1) Tigu (UA) def. Perper (MSU) 6-3, 6-1
2) Lukomskaya (UA) def. Ryzhova (MSU) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0(6)
3) Roy (UA) def. Terpko (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
4) Paulson (UA) def. Tsigvintseva (MSU) 6-0, 6-0
5) Carbone (UA) def. Pietraroia (MSU) 6-1, 6-0
6) Jade Frampton (UA) def. Dion (MSU) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish... Doubles (1,2,3) Singles (5,4,1,6,3,2)