STARKVILLE, Miss. - Last week, junior forward Jarvis Varnado became Mississippi State's all-time leading shot blocker. On Monday, he was named the SEC Player of the Week.
In three games, he averaged 10.7 points, 13.7 rebounds and 8 blocks. He enters Tuesday's showdown at St. Bonaventure with a nation-best 31 blocks on the year and 255 for his career.
The Brownsville, Tenn., native is the first MSU player to receive the honor since last year when Charles Rhodes was tabbed player of the week on March. 3
SEC Player Of The Week
F/C • 6-9 • 210 • Jr. • Brownsville, Tenn.
• Averaged 10.7 points, 13.7 rebounds and 8.0 blocks in Mississippi State’s three games.
• Shot 60 percent from the field, including a 6-of-7 effort against North Alabama.
• Had 14 points, 16 rebounds and eight blocks in MSU’s win over Fairleigh Dickinson.
• Became Mississippi State’s all-time career leader in blocks, breaking Erick Dampier’s mark of 249 set from 1994-96.
• Ranks ninth in SEC history with 255 career blocks.