Click here to locate the Turman Fieldhouse on the MSU campus map.
Over the summer of 1999, Mississippi State's Turman Fieldhouse, located beneath the Leo Seal M-Club Center, was gutted after 40 years of service to Bulldog football teams and renovated to better serve MSU football teams of the future.
The facility was redesigned to enlarge MSU's locker room facility, create a recruiting area, and enhance the visitor's and officials' locker rooms. The project was coordinated by long-time Bulldog supporter Johnny L. Crane of Fulton. The entire MSU locker room area was named in his honor. The Bulldogs' new locker room now spans the downstairs area in the Turman Fieldhouse. New lockers were installed with name plates for each player. In addition, each locker features a name plate for individual sponsors of each locker. The lockers feature a helmet storage area, a clothing bar for jerseys, a padded seating area for each player, and a combination-locked storage area for each Bulldog.
The only new area to the Turman Fieldhouse after the 1999 renovation was State's recruiting area on the second floor of the facility. This area provides a place for MSU prospects and parents to visit with MSU coaches and each other at pregame, halftime and postgame of each MSU home game. The facility features two billiard tables and several pieces of luxurious furniture. The room also displays the National Football League jerseys of former MSU players and the names of current Bulldogs in the NFL. The recruiting center is named for Mr. Howard L. Miskelly Sr., founder of Miskelly's Furniture in Jackson. He was honored by his family prior to the MSU-Middle Tennessee game for providing the furniture for the new lounge area.
Other improvements made in conjunction with the renovation of the fieldhouse included improvements to the visitor's locker room area, which was moved to the new north end zone in 2014, as well as a new game official's dressing area.
The Turman Fieldhouse's previous layout was originally designed and constructed in 1958. Named for the late William Frank Turman of Horn Lake, Miss., the facility was dedicated in the spring of 1959.
Turman, a past president of the MSU Alumni Association, was a former Mississippi State Senator and one-time chairman of the State Education Committee. A Mason, a Shriner and a World War I veteran, he passed away in 1957 while serving his second term in office. He met and befriended Ben Hilbun - later to be MSU's president - in the war in Europe.