Holder and Lindgren Off To Strong Starts In Pro Ball
STARKVILLE, Miss. – Twenty-six former Mississippi State baseball players are currently in professional baseball, including three currently in Big Leagues. Below you will find recent highlights as of Tuesday, July 8, 2014. Please tweet any corrections to @HailStateBB.
- Jacob Lindgren has struck out seven and walked none in his first 4.0 innings with the Charleston RiverDogs of the Class A South Atlantic League. The lefty has a 2.25 ERA in three appearances out of the bullpen.
- In his first start with the Staten Island Yankees of the Class A Short-Season New York-Penn League, right-hander Jonathan Holder tossed three scoreless innings.
- Brett Pirtle has hit safely in four of his first five professional games with the Connecticut Tigers of the Class A Short-Season New York-Penn League.
- Brandon Woodruff owns a 1.29 ERA in three appearances (one start) with the Helana Brewers of the Rookie Pioneer League.
- Former MSU All-American Hunter Renfroe has been selected to participate in the 16th annual SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game, where he will represent the U.S. Team against the World Team live on the MLB Network at 4 p.m. CT on Sunday, July 13, from Target Field in Minneapolis, Minn.
- Since May 27, former MSU All-American Adam Frazier has raised his average from .233 to .269 for the Bradenton Marauders of the Class A Advanced Florida State League. Frazier is hitting .304 over his last 10 games.
- 2007 Johnny Bench Award winner Ed Easley has raised his batting average from .207 on May 27 to .253 currently with the Memphis Redbirds. Playing in Triple A for the St. Louis Cardinals organization, Easley is hitting .375 his last 10 games with five RBIs, five walks, four runs, two doubles and one home run.
- Tyler Moore of the Syracuse Chiefs (Washington Nationals Triple A) is hitting .309 in 33 games with 38 hits in 33 games.
- Playing for the Dunedin Blue Jays of the Class A Advanced Florida State League, Toronto Blue Jays’ prospect Kendall Graveman is 7-3 with a 2.49 ERA and has not allowed an earned run in his last two starts (12 IP).
- Graveman’s teammate, Chad Girodo, has not allowed a run to score in his last 12.0 innings of relief. Girodo owns a 1.92 ERA and is 4-0 on the year.
- Southpaw Luis Pollorena has recorded a 1.32 ERA with two saves in 13.2 innings (six appearances) for the Spokane Indians of the Class A Short-Season Northwest League.
- Ben Bracewell is playing for the River City Rascals of the independent Frontier League.
- Philadelphia Phillies closer Jonathan Papelbon is tied for ninth in the MLB with 21 saves. The righty is 22nd all-time in MLB history with 307 saves and is fourth among active closers.