Stropp, Sullivan Nominees For Prestigious SEC Scholar-Athlete Award
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Tennis player Malte Stropp and soccer player Elisabeth Sullivan have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Mississippi State University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league’s top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2014 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on May 6.
Highlights of Mississippi State’s nominees include:
Malte Stropp, Tennis
- Business Administration major scheduled for graduation in May 2014
- Holds a near-perfect 3.97 grade point average
- Named to the Mississippi State President’s List every semester (seven times) so far in his academic career
- Named an Intercollegiate Tennis Association Scholar Athlete twice
- Named to the Academic All-SEC team every season since his arrival in Starkville
- Named overall winner of the 2013 Newsom Award, which recognizes the top male and female student-athletes in each sport at MSU
- Regular participant in MSU’s Breakfast of Champions, an annual community service event where Bulldog student-athletes and coaches serve breakfast to children at local schools while conveying the importance of a healthy and balanced meal to start the day
- Ranks in top five in career doubles wins at MSU
- Named SEC Freshman of the Year in 2011
- Helped lead Bulldogs to three-straight NCAA Championship appearances and a trip to NCAA Round of 16 for the first time in 12 years in 2013
- All-SEC selection in 2013
- Played in both the NCAA Singles and Doubles Championships in 2013
Elisabeth Sullivan, Soccer
- Elementary Education major projected to graduate in December 2014
- Three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll selection
- Freshman Academic Honor Roll selection
- Newsom Award-MSU Scholar Athlete, which recognizes the top male and female student-athletes in each sport at MSU, in Spring 2012 and Fall 2013
- Earned Second Team All-SEC honors the last two seasons
- All-time Mississippi State career scoring leader (92)
- Broke the school record for career goals (39)
- Led State in goals all four years of her career
- Set school records for career goals and points
- Set school single-season record goals for goals (16)
- Claimed new MSU top marks with eight multiple-goal games and eight game-winning assists
- Rated fourth in the SEC in points (28) and goals (12) as a junior
- Netted 12 goals as junior, a mark that was second in school history
- Accounted for 13 points, including five goals, as a sophomore
- Drafted in the fourth round by the National Women’s Soccer League’s Portland Thorns, MSU’s first drafted player
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC Corporate Champion sponsor, provides the league’s male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $7,500 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in late May.
Last year’s McWhorter Award recipients were Barrett Jones of the Alabama football team and Chelsea Oswald of the Kentucky track & field team.