MSU Women’s Tennis Defeats Stephen F. Austin, 5-2
With the win, the Bulldogs improved to 4-1 on the season and 2-1 on the road.
The Bulldogs got off to a good start in doubles play, as the duo of Rosie Dion and Petra Ferancova defeated SFA’s Macarena Sedano Acosta and Valeria Terentyeva 8-2 on court 3. Timea Guibe and Alexandra Perper would clinch the doubles point, with an 8-1 win on No. 1 over Denise Maxl and Rachel Pierce. Georgiana Patrasc and Naomi Tran also took a highly contested 8-5 decision on court 2 over SFA’s Malena Gordo and Laura Servise.
The Ladyjacks were able to take the first singles point of the afternoon, as MSU freshman Rosalinda Calderon fell 6-2, 6-3 to Servise at No. 6. However, the Bulldogs quickly answered, as Dion took her match 6-3, 6-2 on Court 4 over Acosta. Perper would also pick up a win just a few minutes later, defeating Maxl 7-5, 6-1 on No. 1, putting the Bulldogs ahead 3-1.
A huge win from the 72nd-ranked Patrasc would clinch the match in favor of State, as she defeated Gordo 6-2, 6-4 on No. 2.
Guibe and Tran would split the remainder of action, with a 7-5, 6-4 win on court 3 and a 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 loss on Court 5, respectively.
“Our girls worked hard for the win today,” said head coach Daryl Greenan. “The conditions were a big challenge. We haven’t played outside all week and the heavy winds made it tougher to find a rhythm or feel for the ball. But I was happy with how we handled ourselves. It was a solid win for us.”
The Bulldogs will stay in Houston to face the University of Houston on Sunday at 10 a.m. Live stats will be provided on uhcougars.com.
For more information on the Mississippi State women’s tennis team and updates on this weekend’s action, fans can follow the Bulldogs on Twitter (@HailStateWT), Facebook (HailStateWT) and Instagram (HailStateWT).
Mississippi State 5, Stephen F. Austin 2
February 14, 2014 – Houston, Texas
1. Guibe/Perper (MSU) def. Maxl/Rachel Pierce (SFA), 8-1
2. Patrasc/Tran (MSU) def. Gordo/Servise (SFA), 8-5
3. Dion/Ferancova (MSU) def. Terentyeva/Acosta (SFA), 8-2
1. Alexandra Perper (MSU) def. Denise Maxl (SFA), 7-5, 6-1
2. No. 72 Georgiana Patrasc (MSU) def. Malena Gordo (SFA), 6-2, 6-4
3. Timea Guibe (MSU) def. Julia Lorca (SFA), 7-5, 6-4
4. Roseline Dion (MSU) def. Macarena Sedano Acosta (SFA), 6-3, 6-2
5. Valeria Terentyeva (SFA) def. Naomi Tran (MSU), 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
6. Laura Servise (SFA) def. Rosalinda Calderon (MSU), 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 6, 4, 1, 2, 3, 5