Eighteen members of the Bulldog football team earned the distinction of SEC Academic Honor Roll recipient, while 10 were named from the women’s soccer team and four from the volleyball squad.
The 2013 Fall SEC Academic Honor Roll is based on grades from the 2013 spring, summer and fall terms.
Headlining the list of Bulldog football standouts is quarterback Dak Prescott. Prescott has maintained a 3.2 cumulate grade point average while majoring in educational psychology.
Prescott tossed for 1,940 yards on 156-of-267 passing and 10 touchdowns in leading MSU to seven victories and a Liberty Bowl win as a sophomore. He also shattered the Bulldog single-season record for rushing yards by a quarterback with 829 yards and 13 touchdowns. Prescott finished the year accounting for 2,769 yards of total offense, good for third place in MSU single-season annals.
A total of 90 of MSU football student-athletes have now earned SEC Academic Honor Roll accolades under head coach Dan Mullen dating back to 2009.
Elisabeth Sullivan headlines the list of 10 soccer standouts. Sullivan, an elementary education major, was the first Bulldog to ever be drafted in the National Women’s Soccer League earlier this month. Sullivan was a two-time All-SEC performer who shattered the MSU career top marks for goals and points with 39 and 92, respectively.
In addition to earning a spot on the SEC Community Service Team, volleyball’s Ellen Stuart was named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll while majoring in communication.
Any student-athlete who participates in an SEC championship sport or a student-athlete who participates in a sport listed on his/her institution’s NCAA Sports Sponsorship Form is eligible for nomination to the Academic Honor Roll. The following criteria is followed:
(1) A student-athlete must have a grade point average of 3.00 or above for either the preceding academic year (two semesters or three quarters) or have a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or above at the nominating institution.
(2) If a student-athlete attends summer school, his/her grade point average during the summer academic term must be included in the calculation used to determine eligibility for the Academic Honor Roll.
(3) Student-athletes eligible for the Honor Roll include those receiving an athletics scholarship, recipients of an athletics award (i.e., letter winner), and non-scholarship student-athletes who have been on a varsity team for two seasons.
(4) Prior to being nominated, a student-athlete must have successfully completed 24 semester or 36 quarter hours of non-remedial academic credit toward a baccalaureate degree at the nominating institution.
(5) The student-athlete must have been a member of a varsity team for the sport’s entire NCAA Championship segment.
The complete list of MSU SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll recipients is below:
Name – Sport – Major
Richie Brown – Football – Industrial Technology
Ryan Brown – Football – Business Administration
Taveze Calhoun – Football – Kinesiology
Cole Carter – Football – Kinesiology
Josh Creekmore – Football – Biological Engineering
Devon Desper – Football – Business Administration
Taylor Earhart – Football – Accounting
Nick Griffin – Football – Kinesiology
Brandon Hill – Football – Kinesiology
Brandon Holloway – Football – Kinesiology
Archie Muniz – Football – Kinesiology
Ivan Muniz – Football – Kinesiology
Dak Prescott – Football – Educational Psychology
Justin Senior – Football – Political Science
Evan Sobiesk – Football – Microbiology
Baker Swedenburg – Football – Information Systems
John Van Horn – Football – Geoscience
Nickoe Whitley – Football – Workforce Education
Dana Forbes – Women’s Soccer – Accounting
Morganne Grimes – Women’s Soccer – Accounting
Shannen Jainudeen – Women’s Soccer – Criminology
Shelby Jordan – Women’s Soccer – Kinesiology
Shannon Palmer – Women’s Soccer – Biochemistry
Elisabeth Sullivan – Women’s Soccer – Elem. Education
Mary Kathryn Taylor – Women’s Soccer – Biological Sciences
Addie Tomlin – Women’s Soccer – Pre-Accounting
Sasha Vrany – Women’s Soccer – Business Economics
CJ Winship – Women’s Soccer – Criminology
Roxanne McVey – Volleyball – Finance
Taylor Scott – Volleyball – Kinesiology
Ellen Stuart – Volleyball – Communication
Alex Warren – Volleyball – History