SEATTLE, Wash. - In their opening match of the 2013 ITA National Team Indoor Championship, the No. 10 Mississippi State men's tennis squad (7-1) dropped a tough 4-0 decision to the No. 7 Kentucky Wildcats (8-2) at the Seattle Tennis Club.
Kentucky jumped out quick in doubles play with an 8-3 win from the No. 34 duo of Tom Jomby and Kevin Lai against MSU's No. 13 tandem of Jordan Angus and Malte Stropp. UK clinched the point when the duo of Alejandro Gomez and Ryuji Hirooka defeated MSU's Zach White and Ethan Wilkinson 8-3 at No. 2. Play on court three between MSU's Romain Bogaerts and Pedro Dumont and UK's Grant Roberts and Anthony Rossi was suspended with UK leading 6-4.
In singles play, Kentucky claimed its first win on court two, when No. 29 Jomby defeated No. 43 Stropp 6-2, 6-0. State's Dumont fought hard in the second set on court six, but fell to UK's Lai 6-3, 6-4. Kentucky clinched the match with a Roberts' 6-2, 6-2 victory against Stefan Vinti at the No. 5 spot.
State claimed the first set on two courts. MSU's 19th-ranked Bogaerts took the first from No. 90 Rossi 7-6(5) at the No. 1 position. Rossi was leading in the second set 2-1 when play was suspended. At No. 4, MSU's Jordan Angus took the first set 6-2 and was tied in the second at 5-5 in the second with Charles Minc when play was suspended.
On court three, James Chaudry dropped the first set 7-5, but took the second 6-2 before play was suspended.
The Bulldogs will return to action at the ITA Indoors tomorrow against No. 15 Texas A&M. The Aggie fell 4-0 to No. 2 Southern Cal Friday in their opener. MSU and Texas A&M are set to start at 1 p.m. CT.
No. 7 Kentucky 4, No. 10 Mississippi State 0 - ITA National Team Indoor Championship
February 15, 2013 - Seattle Tennis Club - Seattle, Wash.
1) No. 34 Tom Jomby/Kevin Lai (UK) def. No. 13 Jordan Angus/Malte Stropp (MSU) 8-3
2) Alejandro Gomez/Ryuji Hirooka (UK) def. Zach White/Ethan Wilkinson (MSU) 8-3
3) Grant Roberts/Anthony Rossi (UK) vs. Romain Bogaerts/Pedro Dumont (MSU) 6-4 (susp.)
1) No. 90 Rossi (UK) vs. No. 19 Bogaerts (MSU) 6-7(5), 3-1 (susp.)
2) No. 29 Jomby (UK) def. No. 43 Stropp (MSU) 6-2, 6-0
3) James Chaudry (MSU) vs. Gomez (UK) 5-7, 6-2 (susp.)
4) Angus (MSU) vs. Charles Minc (UK) 6-2, 5-5 (susp.)
5) Roberts (UK) def. Stefan Vinti (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
6) Lai (UK) def. Dumont (MSU) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish... Doubles (1,2)... Singles (2,6,5)