STARKVILLE, Miss. - Mississippi State Lady Bulldog tennis fell in a 7-0 decision at home Friday afternoon to No. 7 Georgia.
Georgia began doubles play with a win on court three via default from Mississippi State. UGA then took an early 1-0 lead after clinching the doubles point as the nation's No. 6 duo, Chelsey Gullickson and Nadja Gilchris, posted an 8-0 victory against Roseline Dion and Naomi Tran of MSU at No. 2. Alexandra Perper and Olesya Tsigvintseva posted MSU's only victory of the day with an 8-5 win at the No. 1 position against Georgia's Kate Fuller and Lauren Herring.
With only five available players, State was forced to default on court six, giving Georgia a 2-0 lead. UGA remained in command as singles play continued, posting wins on courts three, four, and then two. At the No. 3 position, Georgia's Gilchrist defeated the MSU freshman Tran 6-0, 6-1. UGA's Lilly Kimbell posted a 6-0, 6-0 triumph against Petra Ferancova at the No. 4 position to clinch the UGA win.
A 6-0, 6-1 win for Georgia's No. 56 Herring against Tsigvintseva followed on court two.On court five, Dion fell 6-1, 6-2 to No. 69 Kate Fuller for Georgia.
Perper provided hope for a Lady Bulldog victory by winning her first set against No.11 Chelsey Gullickson 6-4 at the No.1 position. Gullickson took an early 2-0 lead in the second set, but Perper was able to fight back to gain a 3-2 lead. Gullickson ended up securing a 6-3 victory in the set, forcing the match to go into a super tie-break decision for the third set. The lead fluctuated back and forth until Gullickson was able to hold her ground and take a 6-4 lead. From that point on, Gullickson maintained control, taking the match in a 4-6, 6-3, 1-0(4) decision.
Lady Bulldog tennis will take to its home courts once again as they take on No. 8 ranked Tennessee at 1 p.m. this Sunday.
Updates for the match will be available via twitter at @mstateWT. A link to live stats can be found on hailstate.com.
#7 GEORGIA 7, MISSISSIPPI STATE 0 March 9, 2012 - Starkville, Miss.
1) Alexandra Perper/Olesya Tsigvintseva (MSU) def. Kate Fuller/Lauren Herring (UGA) 8-5
2) Chelsey Gullickson/Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Roseline Dion/Naomi Tran (MSU) 8-0
3) Maho Kowase/Lilly Kimbell (UGA) won by default.
1) #11 Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. #91 Alexandra Perper (MSU) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0(4)
2) #56 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. Olesya Tsigvintseva (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
3) Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Naomi Tran (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
4) Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Petra Ferancova (MSU)6-0, 6-0
5) #69 Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Roseline Dion (MSU) 6-1, 6-2
6) Alina Jerjomina (UGA) won by default.
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1), Singles (6,3,4,2,5,1)