“Even though we expect a large volume of visitors for this weekday game, campus operations will continue throughout the day Thursday as we transition to our second football game of the 2010 season,” said Jim Jones, chair of the campus Gameday Committee.
“We are working closely with the gameday operations staff, and with the cooperation and support of our campus community, we hope to ensure a smooth transition to the game day atmosphere so many fans love at Mississippi State,” Jones said.
“To ensure adequate parking for large numbers of guests, we’re asking that those who normally use MSU daytime parking vacate by 5 p.m. the lots that become reserved-only for athletic events,” Jones added. Additionally, the committee requests that all MSU vehicles parked in reserved lots be relocated to farm lots, department compounds, or the gravel lot behind the Industrial Education building.
To help manage parking for the event, the committee has adopted the following policies and procedures ONLY for the Thursday night game.
- Lot 34 (north end of Memorial Hall) will close Friday, Sept. 3 at 2 p.m. and transition to reserved RV parking for the Memphis game (Sept. 4). It will remain closed through the following week, when MSU plays Auburn (Sept. 9), and will reopen Monday, Sept. 13. Students affected by the closure will be accommodated in the Palmeiro lot, Howell Engineering lot, and the Coliseum lots. An additional shuttle stop will be placed near the Palmeiro lot to help provide student transportation to the center of campus.
- BS Hood will close Wednesday, Sept. 8, at approximately 8:30 a.m. and remain closed until after the Sept. 9 game. Access to the Barnes and Noble parking lot will be limited only via the Barr Avenue entrance.
- Transition to gameday operations will begin Thursday at noon. Following usual gameday protocols, most campus lots at that point will be reserved for gameday parking, with gameday staff maintaining lots beginning at noon. Those entering the lots after noon will need a reserved gameday parking pass.
Gameday parking lots and their designations are available through this link.
Faculty and staff members who normally park in one of these lots may continue to park through the end of the normal workday, 5 p.m. However, those leaving after 12 p.m. or arriving before 5 p.m. will not be able to to park without a gameday reserved pass.
For those who must return to campus for an afternoon or evening classes, parking will be available in Allen Hall East lot (lot 23). Once that is filled, overflow parking will be directed to other non-reserved lots.
“We do understand and appreciate the inconvenience,” Jones said. “However, we are making every attempt to ensure that parking is available for those whose work continues as normal.”
Afternoon and night class parking will be in the commuter lots along Hardy Road (south of Morrill Road Lot) and Buckner Lane (adjacent to Blackjack Road). Once these lots are filled, other non-reserved lots will be available.
In addition, Jones said other parking and picnic rules for the Thursday night game will include:
- The Junction and all other picnic/tailgate areas will open at 1:30 p.m. (5 hours prior to kickoff).
- Stone Boulevard--from Bost to Bully Boulevard--will close at 3:30 p.m. (3 hours prior to the game) and remain closed until one hour after the game. Staff and faculty leaving campus should use other campus exits.
- The shuttle will cease its regular campus routes at 3 p.m. and begin gameday shuttle operations at 3:30 p.m.
- All picnic areas close at midnight, including the Junction area.
- As always, pets are prohibited on gamedays.
Further information can be found on the Mississippi State University official gameday website – www.MStateAthletics.com/Gameday