2009-10 • Junior
- Appeared in all 36 games for Mississippi State and averaged 1.7 points.
- Scored a season-high 9 points twice - Centenary (12-22-09) and St. Bonaventure (12-5-09).
- Had a career-high 5 rebounds against Kentucky (2-16-10).
- In addition to his 9 points against St. Bonaventure, he also dished out a career-best five assists.
- Played a season-high 22 minutes in a 74-66 win against Alabama.
- In the SEC Tournament, averaged 2.7 points and 0.7 rebounds, hitting 3 of his 5 shots from the floor and draining two treys.
- Against Jackson State and North Carolina in the NIT, averaged 1.5 points and dished out two assists.
2008-09 • Sophomore
- Saw action in all 36 games for the Bulldogs as a reserve.
- Connected on 26 of his 67 shots, and was 3-of-4 against Arkansas on Feb. 7.
- Averaged 2.3 points and 0.9 rebounds per outing.
- His 16 steals tied for the fifth-most on the team.
- Scored season-high 9 points against Arkansas at home on 2-7-09. His points were the result of three 3-pointers.
- Also scored 8 points vs. Nicholls State on a season-high 8 field goal attempts.
- Dished out two assists in six games.
- Against Centenary in the season opener, had a career-high 3 steals.
- In the offseason, had foot surgery to repair stress fracture.
2007-08 • Freshman
- Averaged 1.8 points. 0.8 assists and 0.7 rebounds per game in 28 appearances.
- In SEC play, hit 7 of his 12 3-point attempts.
- Hit a team-leading 42.4 percent from three-point range (14-33 treys), with all but four of his 37 overall shot attempts and all but one of his 15 made field goals having come from beyond the 3-point arc.
- Credited with 22 assists on the season with six multi-assist outings.
- Set season highs in points (12), FGs made (4) and attempted (5), 3-pointers made (4) and attempted (5), and minutes played (21) in the win against Ole Miss.
- Standout non-SEC outing of his rookie campaign was a 10-point (3-3 treys), four-assist effort (1 TO) vs. UT-Martin.
- Totaled three points, a season-high four boards as well as an assist and a steal vs. Southeastern Louisiana.
- Did not see action in seven games, including SEC Tournament and the two NCAA Tournament games.
Three-year starter for coach Jerry Garris at Meade County High School. ... Totaled 1,159 career points (12.6 ppg), 517 rebounds (5.6 rpg), 427 assists (4.6 apg), 236 steals (2.6 spg) and 113 blocks during his three varsity seasons at MCHS, while also hitting 43 percent from three-point range (177 career made 3-pointers) and 74 percent from the charity stripe. ... Helped lead the Greenwave to a three-year composite record of 56-30 (.651), including 11th District Tournament championships and 3rd Region Tournament semifinal-round appearances his last two seasons. ... Compiled team-leading averages of 17.9 points, 7.1 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 2.2 steals and 1.7 blocks per game, while also hitting 87-of-200 (44%) of his three-point attempts, as a second-team all-state recipient for the 23-7 Greenwave club. ... Selected the 2006-07 3rd Region Player of the Year by the Kentucky Association of Basketball Coaches (KABC) as well as being chosen Elizabethtown's All-Area Player of the Year. ... Registered seven double-doubles as a senior, highlighted by a 35-point, 11-rebound effort against Breckinridge County in which he hit 8-of-13 three-point attempts. ...Other single-season statistical highs as a senior included 12 rebounds, nine assists, seven blocks and five steals. ... Capped his high school career by representing his home state in the Indianapolis Star's Indiana/Kentucky All-Star Game. ... Also competed in the 2007 KABC East-West All-Star Game and the Ohio-Kentucky All-Star Game. ... Averaged 12.2 points, 7.1 rebounds, 5.3 assists, 3.4 steals and 1.7 blocks per contest as a junior in helping lead Meade County to a 20-9 record, including claiming the school's first district title in 14 years and advancing to the regional tournament for the first time since 2000. ... Also earned three baseball letters as a pitcher at MCHS. ... Ranked sixth in his graduating class of 335 seniors with a perfect 4.00 cumulative grade point average.
John Riley Benock was born June 7, 1989, in Elizabethtown, Ky. ... Majoring in physical education/kinesiology. ... The son of Tom and Karen Benock.