If you or someone you know is not receiving this and would like to, please e-mail us at:
I hope this update finds you well. I’m writing from New York where myself and Senior Associate AD for External Affairs Scott Wetherbee are in town for a college athletics forum with athletic administrators from around the country.
While this may be a slightly abbreviated letter, I couldn’t let the week go by without expressing my immense excitement for our football team and its berth in the Capital One Orange Bowl against Georgia Tech. It’s one of college football’s most prestigious and historic games, and as you may have seen, it’s our first time to play since the 1941 Orange Bowl, a game we won in exciting fashion over Georgetown.
Our placement in the Orange Bowl speaks to the season Coach Mullen’s team has had, breaking records as they powered through the toughest division in the country, the SEC West. All seven teams in our division are going bowling and we managed to finish second in that battle of heavyweights, an impressive feat.
2014 has, truly, been an historic year for Mississippi State football and I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than by playing one more game on New Year’s Eve night in South Florida.
A few bowl-related notes to pass along:
- Our ticket allotment from the Orange Bowl is 15,000, a number which we are steadily approaching. That allotment was enough to cover the pre-orders by Bulldog Club members, so tickets are now available to the general public. If you haven’t yet secured yours, it can be easily done by visiting www.hailstate.com/tickets or by calling 888-GO-DAWGS.
- If part of your hesitation for committing to the trip is the cost of the entire shindig, I’d recommend visiting our partners at PrimeSport who have travel packages to cut down on the cost.
- Once you get to Miami, you’ll want to visit the official Orange Bowl site for all the information you could want on area happenings and events related to the game. Of particular interest is the FanFest on the day of the game, which I’m told is very much worth checking out. Halftime performers Little Big Town will also be playing at the FanFest.
- As we build toward the game, you’ll want to make sure and visit our gameday site at www.hailstate.com/gameday for details surrounding the Orange Bowl as well as up to the minute and behind the scenes coverage of the Bulldogs from our staff.
- For students wishing to attend, the deadline to request discounted student tickets (as noted in the email you received) passed last night. If you purchased student tickets, they will be available for pickup in person at the game, where you must present two forms of picture I.D. If you wish to sit with someone else, plan to pick up your tickets at the same time.
- And one last bowl note, because so many of you have asked: we don’t yet have an official answer on cowbells inside the Orange Bowl, but we are working with stadium officials and are optimistic that an agreement can be reached. Either way, cowbells will be more than welcomed in Florida, and we hope that will include the game, as well. We’ll be sure to pass along that information as soon as we have a definitive yes or no.
HOOPS SEASONS CONTINUE IN-STATE THIS MONTH
Outside of football, I hope those of you who are able will join us for some hoops during the holiday season. Our men have home games on the 17th, 23rd and 30th of December, plus Coach Ray’s team will play in Jackson on Saturday December 20th against USC Upstate at 3 p.m.
Coach Schaefer’s 22nd-ranked women’s team hosts Louisiana Tech tomorrow night at 7 and also plays at home Monday against Mississippi Valley State.
As has become Christmas tradition, Santa will be in attendance for our games on the 15th, 17th and 23rd.
We appreciate what you do for Mississippi State Athletics and want to encourage you to get others involved. There are three things you can do to help the athletic department at Mississippi State reach its desired goals –
1. Buy Season Tickets
2. Financially Support the Bulldog Club
3. Get Others To Do The Same
Thanks for taking the time to read this Update.